Friday, February 12, 2010

Vancity - A Week Before the Games


The city seems to fill up with a few more people each day. Today, just 8 days before the games, the energy of Vancouver was alive with Olympic spirit in a variety of ways:

Whether it’s the cranberry Olympic rings and maple leaf formations floating in front of the Richmond Speed-skating Oval in the Fraser River , the giant blinking traffic closure signs, or the seemingly endless flags and posters, one message is blindingly clear: something huge is about to happen here, and we will all be a part of it. I find it fascinating; a bashful and humble city on the verge of inviting the world into it’s living room.

I once heard a Whistler resident comment on local TV: “The Olympics are like a giant elephant that come to town and takes a huge dump, then just leaves”. I liked this particular analogy because it reflected a thought I had often had about the mammoth Olympic beast. For many locals, especially in the Fraser Valley, the Olympics are a huge potential tax burden with little to minus zero positive impact on their lives. From my business experiences, many companies are benefiting lucratively either directly or indirectly from Olympic business. I’ve heard many different sides of the argument and I agree with many points from both schools of thought.

The fact of the matter is, the games are going to be here so why not make the most of the opportunity?

I’ve always seen the Olympic Games as a source of multiple opportunities: celebrating the best athletes in the world, making money in a variety of industries, raising the city’s (and citizens) profile, and/or having one hell of a good time. I grew up watching the games along side my sport’s fanatic mom. At age 8, I clearly remember being taken to Mount Lehman Road to watch in awe and slight confusion as the torch ran by. I also remember that mom burned my wiener dog’s nose (tucked in her jacket) in her haste to touch the flame. I guess there wasn’t as much security and opposition back then because you could actually go and touch the torch if you wanted to.

When the games were first announced just a few years ago, I was both intrigued and horrified at the prospect of seeing my humble city turned into an international circus for a few weeks. I wondered if the city could really handle it. Did we really want to invite the world right into our tranquil backyard?

Today, on February 4, 2010, the time we have been hearing about for the past 6 years is finally upon us. So how has the city changed its face to welcome the world? So far, I’ve witnessed the following:

• Hundreds of Canadian flags on buildings and blowing proudly in the wind
• Thousands of ugly orange pylons indicating extreme primary road closures
• 100% increase in bewildered and potentially lost tourist snapping photos
• Interesting art exhibits and displays along Granville street
• The art gallery has been “wall papered” in giant flowers
• Increased numbers of bored policemen looking for justice to serve
• 3-4 x as many rent-a-cops everywhere I look
• A plethora of strange new street flags
• Randomly placed welcome signs in virtually every national language
• A gargantuan Australian flag of a boxing kangaroo in the Olympic village
• A zip-line across the Robson Square skating rink
• The public transit buses are display flashing “welcome to Canada” messages
• The world’s largest mail box in the parking lot in front of the post office
• Many volunteers walking around dressed just like me

The city seems to be perking up and coming alive as we come just days away from the start of the games. If Vancouverites haven’t personally been bringing the joy of the Olympics into the air, it seems the influx of visitors into town have brought enough enthusiasm for all. As I wandered through the downtown today, the anticipation and excitement was palpable. Of course, I wish good luck to all the athletes visiting our fair city, but I wouldn’t be a true Canadian gal without following that up with: Go, Canada, Go! Allons-y, Canada!

No comments: