Friday, February 12, 2010

Let The Games Begin!


As I sit and watch the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Games in BC Place stadium, I am overcome with feelings of patriotic pride and celebration of the human spirit. The winter Olympic Games have been happening since 1924, and today, for the very first and probably last time, they are here in my beloved Van-City.

I am totally amazed at how the grey and dank looking BC has been miraculously transformed into a winter wonderland of lights and dancing joy. I actually had free tickets to the official opening ceremonies dress rehearsal on Wednesday (another volunteer perk) but passed them up in favour of a corporate awards conference in Toronto. I thought it was a no-brainer a few weeks ago, but now as I watch on international TV what I missed as a live show 2 days ago, I wonder if I didn’t miss out on something truly wonderful. Oh well, at least my parents had fun!

Today I wandered through the downtown core and was surprised by the sheer number of tourists in the city; they now outnumber the locals 5:1. Crowds have gathered all over the “pedestrian only” areas. Each participating country seems to have its own “party central” house set up in random locations around town. I stuck my head into the Irish House on Seymour street and smiled at the image of good natured debauchery yet to come. In front of the regional post office located on Hamilton and Georgia, Canadian freestyle ski team athletes performed exciting jumps and twists on trampolines with skis strapped to their feet and smiles plastered on youthful faces. Thousands of people cheered at the side of the road as the Olympic flame made its way closer to the opening ceremonies in BC Place. This was only about 1/10 of what was happening around the city and in the Surrey area. Indeed, the next 18 days are going to be a whole lot of fun.

Over the next 2 weeks, I have 12 shifts scheduled at the curling venue and tickets to 3 Olympic events: Speed skating at the Richmond oval, short track speed skating at the Pacific Coliseum, and Men’s preliminary finals hockey at Canada Hockey Place. I am excited to see each and every event, and even more enthusiastic to see world class sportsmanship in my own humble city. I also plan to seek out the German tent and visit as often as I can to hopefully practice my German and drink some authentic hefeweizen. I can’t tell you how much I miss those two activities (I lived in Bonn, Germany for 3 years).

Above all, tonight I feel even prouder than usual to be a Canadian and a native Vancouverite. Over the next 2 weeks, I look forward to being a friendly ambassador for my lovely city, as we welcome the world into our front yards. I hope everyone who visits us has the time of their lives and leaves with love in their heart for one of the best cities in the world to live. As I watch the fireworks both live on TV and live outside my living-room window, I can only think of these wise words: Go, Canada, Go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I love you.

Anonymous said...

After reading you blog, I thought your articles is great! I am very like your articles and I am very interested in the field of Free trial. Your blog is very useful for me .I bookmarked your blog! I trust you will behave better from now on; I hope she understands that she cannot exepct a raise.